Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Nairobi

Our last weekend in Nairobi was jam packed with saying our goodbyes, completing a verbal book report, teaching at women's ministry, celebrating a birthday, team dinner, packing, teaching Sunday school, participating in a youth concert, Bible study with Arie, and getting about 4 hours sleep before flying out to Uganda.

On Saturday afternoon we went to Kibera to say good-bye to the women from our hair salon Bible study. We were in the middle of teaching them Colossians & since we're leaving we won't be able to complete the book. But praise God that Mildred our interpreter has a decide to go into the salon and complete our teaching for us.

 

Kibera slums where I taught at the hair salon & school.



I was asked to teach on Saturday one last time to the women. I was frustrated at first because I was given a few hours notice to prepare for the study. But I decided to trust God & walk in faith that I could complete what He called me to do. I later realized that it was a blessing to be chosen to teach these ladies one last time. It gave me another opportunity to share Christ with them. After missing the opportunity at the school on Friday I wasn't going to make the same mistake this time around. After the teaching I shared my heart with them as far how I'm going to miss them & how much I enjoyed getting to know them. I encouraged them to walk in faith & give their lives fully over to God because He is faithful. I was moved to tears staring at their faces & realizing what a privilege it was to be called by God to teach them. I think I was more blessed than they were.

Teaching 1 John 5 for women's ministry at church
 
 This is Freddy, he plays keyboard for worship team & will be teaching 1 John at the Bible college this semester. It was his 29th birthday & he was so excited that we got him a cake & sang to him. In all his years this was the first time he's ever had a cake & had "happy birthday" sang to him. The next day he told me that that night was the sweetest night for him & he went to bed smiling! I love the simplicity of the Africans.

This Sunday I was a Sunday school teacher continuing on with teaching Creation. The students sang extra songs for me since I may not see them again.  
Children's ministry worship
 
Kibe & Christina

 This is Damarius & her children. She's one of the familiar faces from women's ministry. 

After church on Sunday we hosted a youth concert. We had an open mic contest & shared the Gospel with about 100 youth.

Nicholas & Bernard-Children's ministry leaders.

A great lesson I have learned with this whirlwind of a weekend is that I can't live in the future. I can't walk around with the mindset that I'm going to have tomorrow or a "next time" to do anything. I have to take advantage of every opportunity to share Christ's love with people. I may never see some of these people again. In a place like Africa, anything could happen to them or me. Although my desire is to go back to Nairobi in April to finish up what we started there, God's plans our greater than mine & it's a real possibility that Sunday was my last chance to say goodbye & show them love. May we all come to the understanding that tomorrow is promised to no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment