Friday, February 18, 2011

Compassion for Canaan Farms

As we were driving to Canaan Farms we picked up a Muslim lady that Vicky wanted to meet with because she wanted to know more about Jesus. After sharing with her the Gospel she decided she wanted to accept Christ. We then had the opportunity to visit families in their homes to pray for their needs. The different families told us their testimonies of how they ended up at the farm. All of them fled to Masindi to escape war-torn Northern Uganda. As we listened to their stories, it was evident that God is truly doing a healing work in their hearts through the help of the workers on the farm. Even though it’s been years since they faced terror from the LRA, the trauma that these people have experienced in losing their family members, has left many of them broken-hearted and in need of continued healing.

Mother with 2 disabled children
Later that afternoon we held an impromptu women’s conference at the tailoring school. We each shared our testimony and a short teaching. As we arrived at the building I realized I didn’t have my notes with me and immediately I got nervous because I didn’t have much time to prepare for my study and I didn’t know the content very well. I didn’t know what to do so I prayed so hard for the Holy Spirit to speak through me and guide me because I really had nothing to give. It was such an amazing powerful feeling knowing that God was doing all the work! I shared my testimony of how I became born again, taught Jeremiah 29:11, and gave them Jesus! I know my teacher Arie would have been proud! I love it when I have to totally depend on God to accomplish things; it always turns out so much better than when I do it in my strength. I was blessed to be able to share with them, they were blessed that we’d come from America to share the love of Christ with them; but the greatest encouragement was to hear my translators tell us how blessed they were to translate our teachings. Our translators, Martin and OJ, told us that they learned so much from us. Because they have to pay extra attention to what we’re speaking in order to translate, they often learn more than if they were just sitting in on the teaching. They were also felt more of a connection with us when they heard our testimonies. Most Africans think that in America the streets are paved with gold, sickness is non-existent, and we have no struggles. When shared of our struggles that we’ve experienced, they were able to relate to us more. Of course my struggles pale in comparison to theirs, but at some point in our lives we were all in darkness with empty hearts and in desperate need of a Savior.

Women's Conference
We ended the conference with praying for any lady that needed prayer. Most of the prayer requests I had were pretty much the same-sick children, no school fees, drunkard husbands who beat them, no money, and separation of family because of war. As I was praying with them I learned a few things. First, I was humbled and honored that God would even chose me to pray for and counsel these ladies. I learned that the problems I think I have are really not problems compared to theirs. I was overwhelmed and my heart was broken as I heard the horrors that these women have gone through. At times I had no words to pray all I could give were tears. I felt really terrible thinking that the only complaints I have are that I eat beans and rice all the time, I have to bucket bathe, that my neck hurts, that I miss the comforts of America and my family and friends, that the internet is so slow here or non-existent, that it’s windy and dusty and I always feel dirty, all the while there are people here suffering with things I can’t even imagine and will probably never have to suffer with. It made me sick to think that I sometimes let the those meaningless comforts throw me of course and forget what this life is all about, serving Christ and not serving self. Lastly, I learned that I’m still lacking in the faith I have in God’s power. I continually prayed over women and children to be healed. As I was praying I was questioning myself, do I have enough faith that God can perform such a miracle as healing someone with malaria or typhoid without medication…well I’m not sure? Although I desperately want to see Him do it, I’m wondering if my lack of faith is hindering that performance of a miracle. Just as I’m thinking that my faith is growing by leaps and bounds, I’m forced to check myself again.

Tukul (mud hut) that we slept in

Inside the Tukul

Masindi-Canaan Farms



 John-severly handicapped boy that lays all day on the ground in front of the door so he can see outside

Cattle on the farm

Richard, Susan & baby Abbi- owners of the Farm

Chaplain Martin singing with the local children- Martin & I prayed for a few of these kids to receive Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment