Friday, January 28, 2011

CRE's!


Glad Tidings School-going over the rule to "raise your hand"
We started teaching CRE (Christian Religious Education) at the schools in the slums this week. This has probably been the most enjoyable thing I’ve done here. For whatever reason God has given me a huge desire to work with children here, which is so unlike me. On Thursday I taught at Glad Tidings School in Ngando. I’m teaching the book of John to a class of about 30 students ages 8-10. I was sharing the Gospel with these students & teaching about John the Baptist. We start every class with cute Worship songs, prayer & then repeating the rules. "No pushing, no pinching, no shouting & raise your hand to answer if you know the answer.
Apollos trying very hard to explain the Gospel

This girl was trying to explain who John the Baptist was.
Going around the class asking students how one is to be born again, I was getting many different answers from them. Some said when you are baptized you are saved; others said when you go to church, or when you confess your sins. There are so many misconceptions about salvation in Kenya & it is apparent that the misconceptions have even started at childhood. Some students said that Jesus was an angel or that He was only the Son of God. After my teaching & correcting their misconceptions a several children were able to repeat the lesson I had just taught; they were absorbing more than I thought… praise God!  
One little girl new the entire Gospel & the entire first chapter of John. She got a special treat for that one! You’ll notice the children standing up on the side of the school room; that’s because they don’t have enough desks for every student to sit down.



Teaching John chapter 1


No comments:

Post a Comment