Saturday, December 18, 2010

From Islam to Christianity

Today we had the special privilege of meeting with some Somali ladies that have converted from Islam to Christianity.  Arie took us to a local church where his friend Bernard attends & is often on their radio station doing debates on the Muslim faith. Bernard has started a ministry of evangelizing to the Muslims here in Nairobi. He knows the Quran extremely well so him & Arie meet up once a week to teach each other; Arie teaches him the Bible & he teaches Arie the Quran. We met with him & a home fellowship group that has taken on caring for these 13 Somali women. We got to hear their testimonies of how they were led to convert to Christianity. All of them were kicked out of their families & have been beaten & or have had their lives threatened. They ranged from ages 15-50. They all still were their burkas & appear to be Muslim; but as we went around the circle introducing ourselves they all proudly proclaimed their love for Jesus Christ. I was challenged today by the ladies. To hear what they have sacrificed to follow Jesus causes me to take a look at what I have sacrificed to follow Jesus. I thought I was leaving a lot behind when I decided to come to Africa. It doesn’t even compare to what they have left behind. In July I get to go back to my family, my friends & my American life. But these women have nothing to go back to. I was humbled by them. One lady named Zahara has 13 children & has taken in 2 of the other girls to live with her in a 2 room house since they have been kicked out of their Muslim families. The women can not work here because they are not Kenyan. So they all take care of each other & rely on the Lord to provide their every need literally day by day. Please pray that these women would stay strong in their faith in Jesus and pray for their protection from their Muslim families.

No comments:

Post a Comment