Monday, May 2, 2011

2 Corinthians 1:4



On Tuesday I taught 1John 4:17-19 to the ladies at the hair salon in Kibera. I had such a sweet time teaching about how God’s perfect love casts out fear and as we mature in our relationship with God that love is perfected in us and we start to trust Him more and more. I shared with them that I’m having some fear as we approach the end of this program. I’ll be returning to the States on June 1st and graduating from this EMT (Extreme Missions Training) program on the June 9th. I mentioned that in order for me to come to Africa I gave up my job and home in America so I have nothing to return to. I’m having some fear because I don’t know where I shall work or where I shall live. This puts me in a position where I am having to practice my trust in God. That morning I was so encouraged by a lady named Eunice. She shared a testimony of how God recently provided for her. Her sister recently died and she had no money to bury her. Here in Nairobi if you don’t have money to pay the morgue or pay for a proper burial a mass burial is then performed. Eunice had been praying 2 weeks for God to provide the money and on the last day before the mass burial was to be performed He provided! Then, Doreen, the owner of the salon, lovingly encouraged me by reminding me that the same God that took me out of America and brought me all the way to Kenya to teach the Bible in hair salon in Kibera was going to take care of me when I get back home. As she was speaking to me tears started to well up in my eyes as it felt like the Lord Himself was directly speaking to me. I find it to be so sweet of the Lord to use these African ladies in my life. As I teach them the Bible it’s easy to get caught up in the mindset that I’m here to feed and encourage them looking past the fact that they can feed and encourage me as well. The truth is as Christians we have all experienced fear at some point and have seen the Lord meet us where we needed Him. I was reminded that just because these ladies live in a slum doesn’t mean they have nothing to offer me. This day was an extra special day because week after week as we go in to teach these ladies, for the most part, they remain silent leaving us to wonder if they are even paying attention or understanding our teachings. It seemed like we had a break through as they shared testimonies of God’s goodness; it was just what I needed to hear. I shall miss them when we leave but I will hold on to their encouragement as fear starts to creep into my mind.




Anna-Marie, Doreen, Christina, and myself 

He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.  2 Corinthians 1:4 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!! And God WILL provide. And we, your brothers and sisters, will pray for the "peace that passes all understanding"(Phil 4:7).

    Chris

    ReplyDelete